anchor text
Sugar Bananas has moved! To find the latest, visit www.SugarBananas.com
Sugar Bananas has moved! To find the latest, visit www.SugarBananas.com

9/9/10

Lemon Meringue Pie

One of my favorite baking books.


I know, I know... another LEMON recipe.  Sometimes I get this crazy craving for lemons so I make anything lemon to work that out.

My friend gave me this book as part of a birthday present.  The pictures are awesome and make me want to make EVERYTHING - even the stuff I probably wouldn't eat otherwise.  Ahh, the power of great photography.

Anyway, there's this great recipe inside for lemon meringue pie.  It's a bit different from other lemon pies I've made as this one is prepared in a tart pan. 
See what I mean about the pictures!

1.  Grease a 10" fluted tart pan.  On a lightly floured counter, roll out the pie dough and ease it into the pan.  Roll off the excess to neaten the tart shell.  Prick the bottom of the tart shell and let chill, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes. 

2.  Line the shell with parchment paper and fill with dried beans.  Bake on a preheated cookie sheet in a preheated oven, 400F for 15 minutes.  Remove and reduce the temp to 300F.


3.  Put the cornstarch, sugar, and lemon rind into a pan.  Blend in a little of the water to make a smooth paste.  Gradually add the remaining water and the lemon juice.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously.  Let simmer gently for 1 minute until smooth and glossy.  Remove from the heat.  Beat in the egg yolks, 1 at a time, then the butter.  Place the pan in a bowl of cold water to cool the filling, then spoon it into the tart shell.


4.  To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gradually add the sugar, whisking well with each addition.  Spoon the meringue over the filling to cover it completely.  Swirl the meringue into peaks and sprinkle with granulated sugar.  Bake for 20-30 minutes until the meringue is crispy and pale gold (the center should still be soft).  Let cool slightly before serving. 





Lemon Meringue Pie
(serves 8-10)

butter, for greasing
all-purpose flour, for dusting
9 oz Pie Dough
3 T Cornstarch
scant 1/3 C Sugar
grated rind of 3 Lemons
1 1/4 C Cold Water
2/3 C Lemon Juice
3 Egg Yolks
2 oz Unsalted Butter, cut into small cubes

Meringue
3 Egg Whites
3/4 C Sugar
1 tsp Sugar (for topping)

1 comment:

  1. I have never made lemon meringue pie...I do love it though!

    We make our own tortillas all the time now - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Sugar Bananas has moved! To find the latest, visit www.SugarBananas.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...