anchor text
Sugar Bananas has moved! To find the latest, visit www.SugarBananas.com
Sugar Bananas has moved! To find the latest, visit www.SugarBananas.com

1/14/12

Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup

My good friend, Katie shared the original recipe with me.  I added a few things and this has turned into a much-loved family favorite dinner.  My husband went from being a "Please NEVER feed me soup for dinner!" kinda guy to a "Hey, do you think you could make that chicken tortilla soup for dinner tonight?" kinda guy.  The secret is in the chipotle pepper.  
It's SO good.  It's very filling.  ...and It's perfect for warming your belly in January.  


Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 T Oil
1 lb Bone-In, Skin-on Chicken Breast and Thighs
8 cups water
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
2 (14 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1-2 chipotle peppers
1-2 tsp adobo sauce (chipotle peppers usually are canned in adobo sauce)
1 cup frozen corn (optional)
1 can black beans (optional)

Topping:
Tortilla Chips
Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
Sour Cream
Cilantro


There are two ways to make the broth.  The alternative, time-saving method is listed below the recipe instructions.


In a large soup pot, brown the chicken on both sides in oil on medium-high heat.  Once chicken is deep brown, pour water in the pot, covering the chicken completely.  Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat back to medium-high and let the chicken boil for about 20 minutes (semi covered), or until the meat falls off of the bone easily.  Transfer chicken to a plate.  Remove skin and discard.  Shred the remaining chicken meat and set aside.  


In blender, combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, and ONE can of the tomatoes.  
Also, ladle into the blender enough (semi-cooled) soup broth to help the ingredients blend.  Pour blended mixture into soup pot containing chicken broth.  
Add the remaining can of tomatoes, shredded chicken, chipotle pepper(s) and adobo sauce to the pot.
  
Chipotle Pepper
If you like, also add corn and beans.  Let soup simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes and serve with toppings.  
An alternative method for preparing the chicken broth is to simply use a store-bought broth or bouillon concentrate and already-cooked chicken.  
(Chicken Stock Concentrate - 'Better Than Bouillon' Brand)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! to Katie for this delicious recipe!




post signature

9 comments:

  1. This sounds - and looks - so yummy! I love the smoky taste of chipotle peppers. Wish I had everything on hand to make this for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, wow, this recipe sure looks great, especially for this cold, wintry January weather. Thanks so much for sharing. I'll have to try it out. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so easy and yummy!

    Hanunyah
    BTW I've missed your frequent blog posts and link party ;). It's okay, I understand everybody is busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum...I just made a similar soup in the slow cooker! it's amazing. check it out: http://www.myjudythefoodie.com/2012/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making this a lot lately! We don't put the corn in but we have been putting in rice. That's really yummy too. Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this today for my fiance and me! We both loved it! Thanks for posting it! He's a big spice guy, so I did an extra chipotle pepper and a little extra adobo sauce. I chopped the chipotle peppers up at the end and added them back. Did you do anything like this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know how much soup this makes? I am looking at feeding 9 people.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this make a large amount of soup? I am looking at feeding 9 people.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

Sugar Bananas has moved! To find the latest, visit www.SugarBananas.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...